Students entering the Senior Years at Our Lady of the Southern Cross College have a unique opportunity to gain a head start to a successful future through our comprehensive and rigorous curriculum.
Our Senior Years curriculum encourages collaborative and individual learning. We teach students how to self-manage and be independent learners within positive and supportive environments, developing the resilience, persistence and confidence to achieve their best in any pathway they choose — for themselves and for the greater good of the community.
Learning in the Senior Years supports students to achieve academic success.
Key features include:
- Small class sizes led by expert teachers
- A focus on 100% of students obtaining a Queensland Certificate of Education
- The explicit embedding of 21st Century skills into the curriculum
- Dedicated Year 9-12 learning areas with multiple outdoor learning spaces
- A focus on flexibility in our curriculum delivery to ensure diversity in our subject offerings
- Personalised learning that gives students a clear direction, purpose for learning and support to achieve their chosen pathway
- Emphasises and promotion on the dignity of work to support students to be career ready.
Curriculum – Years 9 & 10
The central goal for Years 9 & 10 is to provide a smooth transition into each student’s final two years of schooling. As a College, we are not simply rolling Year 11 & 12 back into earlier years. We are delivering a transitional program that will provide the best preparation for our students to achieve success in Years 11 & 12, regardless of their pathway. In addition to our curriculum transition, the explicit embedding of the Australian Curriculum’s General Capabilities enhances our learning to equip our students to live and work successfully in the twenty-first century.
Humanities and Scoial Science
Health & Physical Education
Food, Nutrition and Textiles
Year 11/12 Curriculum
To enhance our focus on providing flexible pathways, the College offers a variety of QCAA General, Applied and Applied (Essential) subjects. The following subjects are offered across our subject lines.
Religion and Ethics
Visual Arts in Practice
Social and Comminuty Skills
Industrial Technology Skills
Food and Nutrition